Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Only Constant is Change

It is natural for humans to look for patterns, but I should know better by now. My four-month-old's sleeping habits do not fit a neat pattern. Still, when he does something two nights in a row I assume he will continue to do it. So, if he goes to bed at nine two nights in a row I am frustrated when I can't get him to bed at nine on the third night. Or, if he is up until two in the morning two nights in a row, on the third day I start to wonder whether I am really cut out to be a parent.

So, what I said a couple weeks ago about my son rolling over and going to sleep ceased to be true almost immediately after I typed it. He doesn't do that much anymore. What is working sometimes lately is sshh-ing him to sleep. We will put him in his crib and when he starts to fuss we make rhythmic shhh-ing noises. This will sometimes calm him down and he will fall asleep. I prefer a long "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", then a pause for breath and repeat. Hubby does a "shh, shh, shh" followed by pause and repeat. I don't know if our son has a preference. Anyway, this is nice because it saves our arms wearing out from holding him. Of course, I have to keep in mind that it may not work tomorrow.

No comments: